Monday, January 31, 2011

Date Night - No Strings Attached

Plot: Lifelong friends Adam (Ashton Kutcher) and Emma (Natalie Portman) attempt to avoid falling in love after falling into each other's beds in this comedy exploring the complexities and quirks of having friends with benefits. via.

(Note from Nicole: the rest of this synopsis on Fandango says that he's surprised to have fallen for Emma given that he's never felt this way about his many other conquests. I'm not sure what movie that reviewer saw, but it wasn't this one.)

Nicole's Rating: B-

Matt's Rating: B-

Nicole: I'm glad you agreed to see this movie with me!

Matt: So am I...

N: Well, did you like it? I liked it. I thought it was pretty freaking funny.

M: It was funny. It was a good romantic comedy. A good date night comedy. Bahhh!

N: Um.

M: I think Ashton Kutcher is funny. And he had good chemistry with Natalie Portman.

N: She's super hot, isn't she?

M: Yes. Not as hot as you...

N: Yeah, whatever. But I was actually surprised to hear you say you liked Ashton in this when we left the theater. I feel like he gets a bad rap. I mean, I guess he did make What Happens in Vegas with Cameron Diaz, but. I think he's really funny and I thought he played a different character from what he usually plays in this one.

M: He's done a lot of really bad movies. But this wasn't one of them. He played a kind-hearted, funny guy.

N: He was so sweet! So many scenes, even when he delivered a funny line - it was just always so subtle and you could tell it was coming from a sweet place? I feel like I'm making it sound like he was super cheese ball. He wasn't.

M: But that's what was good. He did everything subtly sweet, which prevented it from being cheese ball. I think what also helped was that it was produced by Natalie Portman and I think she knows what she's doing.

N: It was? And she does? I feel like you're just saying that because you have a crush on her.

M: Yes, yes and yes.

N: Okay. Well, I don't see how that has anything to do with anything. It was a decent script, even though it was predictable, and it was very well cast, down to Ludacris playing one of Kutcher's hilarious side-kick best friends.

M: Oh, Ludacris was hilarious. Almost everything he said was funny. But I disagree about the script, I think the acting helped the writing.

N: I didn't say it was a good script. I said it was decent. It was a decent story.

M: Agreed. I think there were some things they could have explored a little more.

N: Like what? It was a rom-com... what was there to explore?

M: Well, Cary Elwes character.

N: Cary Elwes career is suffering. That's all he was there for.

M: He didn't do anything! He just grew a beard and said five lines that weren't funny.

N: Poor Cary Elwes. So, what did you think overall?

M: It was an above average romantic comedy. I laughed out loud a lot.

N: Agreed. I liked it a lot. I loved all of the characters. Oh! I forgot to mention that Mindy Kaling was in it too and I love her! Who doesn't love her? And Kevin Kline. A lot of funny people came together and made this a really enjoyable date night movie.

M: I really wanted to give it a C+ because I feel obligated. Because I'm a man. But - for a rom-com it was pretty good. B-.

No comments:

Post a Comment