Thursday, November 11, 2010

You Haven't Seen That Yet??? - Casablanca

Via.



Plot: Rick Blaine (Humphrey Bogart), who owns a night club in Casablanca, discovers his old flame Ilsa (Ingrid Bergman) is in town with her husband, Victor Laszlo. Laszlo is a resistance leader, and with the Germans on his tail Ilsa knows that Rick can help them flee the county. But will he? Via.



Matt's Rating: A

Why Matt's Appalled Nicole has Never Seen It: As a film fanatic it's a must see movie. It has everything a good movie should have, laughter, tears, suspense, love, and it makes you deeply care about all characters involved. Add in the WWII element and you have a close to perfect movie. I was hesistant to watch it the first time because I assumed that it would be a slow love story, but it's not. It has very witty dialogue and a fairly large amount of tension. Plus, I think Rick's struggle with Ilsa is one that most couples can argue about. Should he have stayed with her? Should she have moved on? Should Rick forgive her? Is she just a cock tease? But the beauty of Casablanca is firmly set in Bogart's stunning performance as a man who appears to be cold hearted yet in his core is driven by helping people. Casablanca also has more famous movie quotes than I realized. Almost every scene has quote or moment that you have heard about or have seen mocked in another film. Also, I personally believe that Claude Rains steals every scene he is in. His sarcasm and one liners are priceless. In the end, it's an old school movie that stands the test of time and should be viewed by any "movie buff"....shame on you Nicole. Shame. On. You.


Nicole's Rating: A+

Nicole's Review: Shame on me, indeed. I love old movies, so I'm not really sure what my excuse is for never seeing this movie. I LOVED THIS. I'm not sure why I'd argue about the relationship between Ilsa and Rick, the ending worked perfectly. I don't think I would have liked it so much if Rick had really proved to be a turncoat and if Ilsa really left the husband who obviously lives for her. And Matt - "cock tease" are the last words I'd use to describe the intensely beautiful, soft and innocent looking Ingrid Bergman! I was surprised how many lines I recognized from this movie, besides "Here's looking at you, kid," - "Louie, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship," "Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine," but I think my favorite was by Claude Rains (who I agree stole every scene he was in) - "I like to think you killed a man, it's the romantic in me."

Anyway, the romance and the serious chemistry between Bogart and Bergman is obviously a large part of what gives this movie lasting power. But there's definitely a lot more to it - it takes place during World War II in the unoccupied French territory of Casablanca and it seems that every person in Casablanca is looking to buy their way out to America. This sets the stage for some tension and action that keeps the film moving very quickly. My favorite scene had nothing to do with the lovers - the Germans begin singing a patriotic song in Rick's Cafe Americain and the French patrons begin singing Marseillaise to drown them out. The scene was so charged with emotion, it brought tears to my eyes.

Then again, I'm such a baby almost anything brings tears to my eyes. Like this ENTIRE movie. Pretty much. Don't be stupid like me. Watch it RIGHT NOW, if you haven't yet. But since you are all smarter than me - I'm sure you already have.

4 comments:

  1. I haven't seen this movie...however, I can say that I am a big fan of Claude Rains as The Phantom of the Opera. Check it out...right after LEGEND!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great movie, great pic. I love this back and forth nature of the blog. Really interesting to read.

    I'm glad you liked it Nicole, it is THE classic movie.

    Play it once, Sam. For old times sake...

    ReplyDelete