Thursday, November 18, 2010

You Haven't Seen That Yet??? - About A Boy

Via.


Plot: Will, a rich, child-free and irresponsible Londoner in his thirties who, in search of available women, invents an imaginary son and starts attending single parent meetings. As a result of one of his liaisons, he meets Marcus, an odd 12-year-old boy with problems at school. Gradually, Will and Marcus become friends, and as Will teaches Marcus how to be a cool kid, Marcus helps Will to finally grow up. Via.


Nicole's Rating: A

Why She's Appalled Matt's Never Seen It: First of all, I love Hugh Grant. I don't really care that he cheated on one of the sexiest women on earth with one of the most butt ugly prostitutes around. I think he's hilarious. I think his comedic timing is impeccable. He's perfect. Especially in this movie, playing a thirty-something, completely self-involved jerkoff who gets taught a serious lesson about life by a totally strange twelve-year-old boy, Marcus, and Marcus's wackadoo mother. Every moment is both hysterical and heartfelt. Which okay. Guys don't like heartfelt movies, blah blah. But it's heartfelt on a guy level? Maybe? Because Will (Hugh Grant) finally grows up and realizes that "no man is an island," and that it's probably not mature to pretend you have a child just to hook up with single moms (because they are afraid of commitment, duh!)?

Anyway - some of my favorite scenes (SPOILER ALERT). First, when Will first realizes that single moms are an untapped phenomina of hot sex and regretless breakups. He attends his first SPAT (Single Parents Alone Together) and fabricates a two-year-old son named Ned. Best part of this scene is when Will links hands with all the other single parents and they chant: "Single Parents Alone Together; Single Parents Alone Together." Second, when Will goes to Marcus's talent show to try and keep him from singing "Killing Me Softly" for his mom and embarrassing himself. Instead, Will ends up on stage with his guitar, singing along with Marcus. AND THEN HE CLOSES HIS EYES! (Which, okay. That sounds dumb, but if you've seen the movie, you understand the significance of Will closing his eyes. SO GOOD!)



Matt's Rating: B

Matt's Review: It's a good movie. Not great. Just good. I laughed out loud twice and I when I got up to go to the bathroom I paused it opposed to letting it run. So I guess this means I liked it. I just didn't love it and I'm not sure why. Hugh Grant portrays a very good asshole-with-a-golden-heart character; my favorite line of his was when he is on a date and the woman says "We are vegetarians" to which he replies "I wouldn't have guessed...I'll have a steak sandwich" Parts of it were also well done from a film making aspect: Shot choice, blocking, and editing. But ultimately where I think it falls short is its predictability. I have seen this story a thousand times before: Single man wants to stay single and wild, meets an "innocent" who is more mature than him, he needs to look after this person and in the process matures into an "adult." Having said this, I think that they did a good job of showing us this familiar story in a new comedic and slightly more crude style. Hugh Grant and Toni Collette both steal this movie. It has a bunch of funny parts and was enjoyable enough...I just don't like it enough that I would re watch it...unless, of course, Nicole wanted to.

No comments:

Post a Comment