Tuesday, July 2, 2013

You Haven't Seen That Yet? - The Proposal


Plot: Sandra Bullock stars... as a Canadian immigrant who creates a demanding and difficult work environment for her subordinates at the office. When the news arrives that she's about to be deported to the Great White North, she rushes into a marriage of convenience with her young assistant (Ryan Reynolds) to prevent such a catastrophe from occurring. (via.)

Nicole's Rating: A

Matt Hasn't Seen this Chick Flick!: I'm not a great lover of chick-flicks or anything overly romantic or objectifying. Nicholas Sparks can go to hell, as far as I'm concerned. However, when I find a good one that I think works on multiple levels, I'm enthusiastic in my endeavors to prove that it's also good enough for a man. Just because it's marketed at females doesn't mean it has to be lady only, 'naw'mean?

Sandra, aka Sandy, Bullock is a ridiculously underrated actress (or at least she was up until 2009, when both The Proposal and The Blind Side came out. Sandy got her due!). She's hilarious. I love her. I love almost everything she does. I mean, 2009 was also the year of All About Steve, a movie I did not see that was, by all accounts, horrible. Sandy won a Razzie for her role in that film, and actually showed up to graciously accept the award! Girl is as cool as they get.

Anyway, I thought The Proposal was great. Not only is Sandra Bullock THE BEST, but Betty-can-do-no-wrong-White also has a small role in the movie as Grandma Annie. And, you know, Ryan Reynolds is in it. And he's hot. In fact, he may be in Matt's mantourage. Or at least only one or two actors removed from actually making the mantourage. (Matt carefully maintains who stays in his mantourage. It's a big deal.)


Matt's Rating: B

Matt's Review: Nicole tends to hand out "A's" like hotcakes. Fortunately for the sake of mediocre movies everywhere, I do not.

First off, I saw this movie a while ago and it's a little fuzzy to me. But, I do remember liking the chemistry between Bullock and Reynolds. I also think I laughed out loud quite a bit, which is something of a rarity with me. So, that's good.

But let's move on to something more important: All this business about my "mantourage." This needs to be straightened out ASAP.  First off, a "mantourage" may sound a little...odd. These are the dudes in Hollywood I would want to go to a bar dressed in a suit with, drink with, and cause ruckus with. Picture Oceans 11. It's Robinson's 5 (Why 5? 'Cause I have standards). As of now it's pretty much the cast from Ocean's 11 too: Matt Damon, George Clooney, and Brad Pitt start the group. Rounding out my 5 imaginary drinking buddies are Nathan Fillian and Val Kilmer (though Kilmer has been fairly invisible recently. Not good, Val! Get yourself in check). There are guys waiting in the wings like Jack Nicholson, Ryan Reynolds, Bill Murray and Bruce Willis, but there simply isn't enough room.  Make no mistake, this group has nothing to do with acting talent. These are the guys I want to take to a bar. This is the group of guys that have you thinking "Tonight's going to be a great night, in the worst ways possible." Think about turning to your girlfriend and going, "If you don't hear from me in ten hours just assume I'm either passed out on Brad Pitt's couch or I'm in Vegas with George. Either way, my cell's dying so text Kilmer if you really need to reach me." Picture yourself striding into a bar with that diverse group: Clooney, Pitt, Kilmer, Damon, and Fillian. Boom.

Anyway, The Proposal was decent.

No comments:

Post a Comment