Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Date Night - The Social Network



Plot: On a fall night in 2003, Harvard undergrad and computer programming genius Mark Zuckerberg sits down at his computer and heatedly begins working on a new idea. In a fury of blogging and programming, what begins in his dorm room soon becomes a global social network and a revolution in communication. A mere six years and 500 million friends later, Mark Zuckerberg is the youngest billionaire in history... but for this entrepreneur, success leads to both personal and legal complications.

Matt's Rating: A

Nicole's Rating: B+

Nicole: Just as a disclaimer and an apology - sorry we've been totally absent lately. Matt is a head coach and has been busy head coaching, and I just found out today that my brain is broken and has been broken for the past few weeks. More on that soon (we hope) but, sorry. And we'll try to do better. And - on with the show? So - we saw The Social Network days ago. How'd you like it, Matt?

Matt: I liked it. But, I liked The King's Speech better. I thought the social network had a very special feel to it. Which is typical of David Fincher films. I think that's also the sign of a great film, when it has an intangible feel and mood to it that stay consistent. I also really enjoyed the writing, but then again Aaron SOrkin is my hero. When I grow up I want to be him.

N: A recovered coke-aholic? Can we say that?

M: Also known as a writer?

N: True. I liked it as well. But blah, blah, special. It was good because it defines not only a generation, but our society as a whole. It was well written and funny. But I liked The King's Speech and Black Swan so much better and so every time I think back on the movie I get really pissed because it's going to win. And I don't want it to.

M: But it will, for all teh reasons you stated. It's hard for the Academy to NOT give the Oscar to a generation defining piece. Plus Jesse Eisenburgh was very good. Actually almost all the acting was good.

N: Ugh, even Justin Timberlake was good even though I wanted to punch him in the face.

M: Exactly! He served his purpose. I also like the irony that the creator of facebook is one of the most socially incapable people EVER (according to the movie).

N: Well, and that was the point, for the movie. Zuckerberg's character was more symbolic than realistic, according to everything I've read. Which made the movie and the statement it was trying to make all the more interesting.

M: Anything you didn't like?

N: No, I guess there really wasn't anything I didn't like. I say that begrudgingly. It dragged a little.. in the second act. (Look at me! Movie talk!) But, it was a pretty darn good movie.

M: I also feel like this was a movie that could have totally failed. It would have been easy to do some lame biopic on Zuckerberg or do some stylistic and artsy film about the decay of society. But the filmmakers COMPLETELY nailed the movie. It was executed very, very well. The only thing I think it lacked was cinematography. Both Black Swan and King's Speech were shot better. So, in closing?

N: Ugh. B+. Because it was a good movie, but it wasn't a beautiful movie. It defined my entire life, but it also won't really stick with me in any way. I loved watching it, but I won't buy it. And I don't think I'll ever feel the need to see it again.

M: A. Easy top 5 movie of the year and its a social commentary that doesn't come across as preachy. Which is difficult to do.


No comments:

Post a Comment