Sunday, November 7, 2010

Date Night - Due Date

Via.



Plot: From director Todd Phillips, “Due Date” stars Robert Downey Jr. and Zach Galifianakis as two unlikely companions who are thrown together on a road trip that turns out to be as life-changing as it is outrageous. Downey plays Peter Highman, an expectant first-time father whose wife’s due date is a mere five days away. As Peter hurries to catch a flight home from Atlanta to be at her side for the birth, his best intentions go completely awry when a chance encounter with aspiring actor Ethan Tremblay (Galifianakis) forces Peter to hitch a ride with Ethan—on what turns out to be a cross-country road trip that will ultimately destroy several cars, numerous friendships and Peter’s last nerve. via.

Matt's Rating: C+

Nicole's Rating:
C

Nicole:
I pretty much hated this movie.

Matt:
No you didn't.

N:
Dead end. Um, yes I did.

M:
No, 'cuz you laughed during certain parts. In fact so hard that you covered your mouth. But it still sucked.

N:
There were definitely parts that made me laugh, but only parts. You know? I wasn't peeing my pants the entire time like in Hangover or Wedding Crashers. Although I was seriously anxious during Hangover but that's another story.

M:
Okay... Definitely a step back for Todd Phillips. It just didn't hold the laugh per minute ratio that the Hangover did.

N:
Isn't that what I just said?

M:
Yes, but I said it better. I felt like it really tried to have heart but something was missing. It didn't have the emotional value that the Hangover did.

N:
I thought it was too fucking emotional, with all those dry and boring scenes where Zach Galifianakis is crying over spilt ashes.

M:
Well, I thought the scene in the bathroom where he was "acting" was very well done. But like I just said, the serious parts didn't connect me to the characters, they were just boring and slow.

N:
That scene in the bathroom just made me really uncomfortable.

M:
It's supposed to make you uncomfortable, that's the point. Robert Downey Jr. sees Galifianakis as a human being for the first time in the movie.

N:
Let's talk about the funny parts of the movie, of which there were four.

M:
Okay.

N:
Okay?

M:
Any time Robert Downey Jr. flipped out on Zach Galifinakis it was funny.

N:
What were their character names? Do you even remember?

M:
Ethan.

N:
Ethan Tremblay/Chase, that's right.

M:
What was Robert Downey Jr's? Paul? Tom?

N:
I don't think it was either of those, but moving on. Any time he got angry was funny EXCEPT for when he spit on the dog because that was freaking horrible.

M:
That was hilarious.

N:
That dog was so cute. You shouldn't spit on dogs. Animal cruelty.

M:
When he said he was going to rip it in half!

N:
That was funny.

M:
It just wasn't funny enough. You could tell there were parts that were supposed to be funny
and they just weren't. That's where it failed.

N:
Definitely. We should have gone to see It's Kind of a Funny Story.

M:
It wasn't playing in the theater.

N:
Shut up, Matt.

M:
I don't know if we should blame the actors, the director or the writer. We've seen both the actors be very funny before and Todd Phillips has made funny movies before so it's got to fall to the writers. Or Todd Phillips just didn't do his best work. But I don't blame the actors.

N:
What bothered me was the piecemeal way they put the story together. It was like they said, in order to get here, let's just make this really stupid thing that doesn't make any sense whatsoever happen. So much of it was beyond unbelievable. And that bothers me. Like - how could they drive hundreds of miles in a stolen border control truck and not have anyone looking for them or catch them?...So is that the writers then?

M:
Yeah. It's their job to get us from point A to point B and make us laugh and they just didn't do it on a constant enough basis.... Closing thoughts, Nicole?

N:
If you're okay with only laughing once in a while and taking a nap in between, go see this movie. You?

M:
Wait for it to come out on DVD. Don't pay the $10.50 to go see it.

2 comments:

  1. It may be possible that this blog is funnier than the movie itself. Great summation and advice. I was on the fence about seeing this one so now that I've got the jist: spitting on dogs and humanity discovered in the bathroom, I'm good until the DVD. Thanks guys! Can't wait till your next post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your current tagline is from Alien...What do I win?

    ReplyDelete